Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 18 and 19 - Big Bear City

I'm just finishing up a day and a half off in Big Bear City.  I decided that since I hiked 10 miles to get here on Monday it wasn't really a day off.  So instead of getting up, trying to finish my resupply, hitching a ride back to the trail and hiking 10 or 15 miles, I told the manager of the inn I'd be staying a second night.

I hitched a ride on highway 18 about 4 miles from town.  A couple other hikers who'd been near me since Fuller Ridge arrived just in time to get a ride to town as well.  I was planning on getting a room at Nature's Inn, Opus and Joe agreed to join me and we split the room.  The inn is great, king size bed, 2 futons, kitchen, spa bathtub... all for $25 per person.

We ate lunch yesterday and breakfast this morning at Thelma's, one of the required restaurant stops according to my guide book.  Lunch was a western cheeseburger and fries with a huge chili dog on the side.  For dinner tonight I went to a mexican place for $1 taco Tuesday and had 9 tacos.  I think the hiker appetite has kicked in.

I bought the next several days' worth of food at a couple stores, and rested my feet.  The hiker next door has a blister the size of a quarter on the side of her heel.  The few small blisters and sore spots I get aren't really that bad in comparison.  While hiking your feet get into a rhythm and you don't notice how sore they really are until you stop for a while and try to get going again.  My feet have definately swollen a bit.  I got shoes a size and a half bigger than I'd normally wear in preparation for that.  May try to find a wider pair next time.  Steve got new shoes at Kickoff that were 12 EEEE and said the extra width helped a lot.  Mine still have some miles left in them for now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment