Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 96-97 - Onward Into Oregon

I had breakfast before leaving Callahan's the next morning despite not being very hungry after dinner the night before.  With about 54 miles to go before Fish Lake, I decided to still do about 20-24 miles the first two days followed by an easy third day.  Still wonderful weather, clear and in the mid-70s.

On Tuesday I think I heard a bear running off. I never saw it but it didn't sound like a deer or elk crashing through the brush. I also heard a very large tree fall only a couple hundred yards off the trail. There was no wind, just suddenly a loud cracking and a huge crash. That'd sure be something, walk all this way just to get flattened by a dead tree that decided to fall over as I went by...

Wednesday afternoon I caught back up to Rob and Barb, a couple who are doing the Oregon portion of the trail.  We ended up stopping together at the South Brown Mountain Shelter for the night.  It's a log shelter built by an Army Reserve unit about 20 years ago.  It was a nice place with a woodstove and bunks along two walls.  There's a hand pump on a well next to it.  I stayed the night inside; no mice tried to get into my food.

1 comment:

  1. That would be a tragedy - getting flattened by a falling tree. Just one more thing to add to my list of things to worry about :)Let's see - there's starvation, thirst, getting lost, falling off a cliff, bandits, mosquitoes, bears, and now falling dead trees. But now I know there are endless buffets, water cachets, GPS, trail angels, tents and DEET. So if the bears continue to be running the other way and the trees stay standing, that leaves only falling off cliffs. So just stay on the trails and I'll stop worrying.

    ReplyDelete